#1 helvissa

helvissa

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

I'm currently on Cirtex. I've got helvissa.com and an add-on domain prettypettythieves.com

Then I set up another one - rockinscene.com, which has add-on domains pinup-parade.com and therhythmaces.com (which is on a different cirtex server).

The rockinscene one has been a major butt-ache ever since I added pinup-parade to it. Cirtex are being as unhelpful as possible so I think the time has come to move hosting. What's happened is, about half the people trying to get on pinup-parade.com haven't been able to. These same people can get on helvissa.com and prettypettythieves.com. Cirtex were very unhelpful, saying "Well, we can see it, you need to sort out your ISP", and things like that, until they admitted that it seemed to be a problem with their firewall. They told me to send the IP addresses of my friends who couldn't get on the site so they could "whitewash" or something their firewall. As you can tell, that would completely erase the point of a site being on the internet where potentionally anyone in the world would be able to see it! Cirtex are saying that the people who can't get on have a virus on their pcs. I personally think this is total tosh, seeing as they can get on the other two sites I have at cirtex which just happen to be on a different server. While their support emails are quick, they're frustratingly unhelpful!

I saw in another thread, someone mentioned that you guys can move the content over as long as I use cpanel - which I do.

I was wondering if you recommend a package for me - I'm not sure whether the medium one or the one up from that would be what I'm looking for, and I suppose it would be easier to just put all my sites onto one server?

Any tips/recommendations/etc gratefully received!

#2 billzo

billzo

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:08 AM

The cost of purchasing extra bandwidth here at ASO is only $0.50 per gigabyte--an extremely reasonable price. Yes, it would be easiest to put all your sites on one server. Nobody else knows how much disk space and data transfer you use, so only you can decide which package is best for you.

I tried out Cirtex a while back and couldn't use them because their server was so slow.
As for the half of people who can't access one of your sites, that is odd. Is it a regional problem? That is, are people from certain countries unable to access the site, or is it pretty much all over?

I'm relatively new here at ASO. I had to contact support once and they were very prompt.

Posted Image
Click here to sign up with A Small Orange today!

ASO servers are fast and they offer excellent support for a great price. ASO is the BEST host around!

I have been with ASO since June 2007 and recommend this host highly. ASO has only gotten better over time. There is no better testimonial about the quality of service of a webhost than a long-term customer like me. Don't make a frustrating and time-consuming mistake of signing up with any other webhost. ASO is what you need.

Whether you are hosting a small hobby site like a Wordpress blog, a serious business website, or need a Dedicated Server, VPS or Cloud hosting, ASO has superior quality professional-level hosting packages for you.

View A Small Orange Hosting Plans

$$$ Coupon codes to save you money $$$

Code to save $5: saveme$5
Code to save 15%: saveme15%

Enter the coupon codes when ordering to get your discount. Save $5 or 15% off your initial order.

Posted Image

#3 helvissa

helvissa

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for your reply!

That's kind of what I think too... the Cirtex servers aren't as fast at it could be. I've just been having a look, and prettypettythieves, which is my most popular site (the others are all relatively new... and yes... it keeps me busy!), has used 24.72gb since October. I think I'd have to use the medium hosting, especially if I put everything on it - but then again, I may as well go for the one up from that. $10 isn't a vast sum!

Yeah, it's completely confused me. It seems to be people all over the place who can't access the sites. Off the top of my head: Glasgow, Bristol, Hertfordshire, Exeter... and yet people can access it in Birmingham - but then someone else in Birmingham can't... see, it's weird!

#4 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:29 AM

25GB since October? As in 25GB each month from October until now or 25GB in total? If it's the former then I use ~30GB per month on my sites and have a Medium that I regularly purchase extra bandwidth for. If it's the latter then a Small should be more than enough, and you might even survive on a Tiny (8 months x 3GB = 24GB total normal bandwidth).

As for accessibility issues, it could be an ISP thing. If Cirtex have blacklisted a block of IPs for that site then it'd be strange that they've done it for a single domain, but it would explain some people in some areas not seeing it but others being okay. You'd really need more detail about what page they were getting and whether there was anything in the error log to work out more than that.
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#5 helvissa

helvissa

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:37 AM

Sorry - I mean, 24gb in total, but sometimes the bandwidth's gone over 4gb in one month. And rockinscene and pinup-parade are new sites - in fact, I haven't launched rockinscene yet, so I think I'll probably end up needing more bandwidth than 'tiny' allows for. Small would be pretty much what I'd need.

Presumably it would be fine to have all five domain names pointing at the same account? (I apologise if that's the wrong terminology...)

I really have no idea what Cirtex are up to. A friend of mine who hasn't been able to get on the site sent me her IP, and Cirtex are saying it's not one of the blacklisted ones, so... it's obviously not the firewall that's causing the problems! Waaaahhhhh I just want my websites to work!!! ranting2.gif

#6 billzo

billzo

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(helvissa @ Jun 28 2007, 6:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Presumably it would be fine to have all five domain names pointing at the same account? (I apologise if that's the wrong terminology...)

You can have unlimited add-on domains. So, yes, five domains pointing to the same account is more than fine.

You are paying for disk space and data transfer (provided you don't suck up too much CPU or other server resources). Five domains or one-hundred, it doesn't matter since you are paying a fixed amount for a specific amount of space and transfer.

Posted Image

ASO servers are fast and they offer excellent support for a great price. ASO is the BEST host around!

I have been with ASO since June 2007 and recommend this host highly. ASO has only gotten better over time. There is no better testimonial about the quality of service of a webhost than a long-term customer like me. Don't make a frustrating and time-consuming mistake of signing up with any other webhost. ASO is what you need.

Whether you are hosting a small hobby site like a Wordpress blog, a serious business website, or need a Dedicated Server, VPS or Cloud hosting, ASO has superior quality professional-level hosting packages for you.

Enter the coupon codes when ordering to get your discount. Save $5 or 15% off your initial order.

Posted Image

#7 helvissa

helvissa

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is all very awesome... I'm moving over now...!

#8 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:26 AM

I guess Tiny to Small isn't too much of an upgrade to make sure that you don't have to pay for extra bandwidth. As I said, I'm on a Medium so it's still cheaper for me to order five or seven GB of bandwidth each month than it is to upgrade to a Large smile.gif

You could do it on a Tiny and still buy five GB each month before getting an equivalent price (but less bandwidth), but 5GB and $2.50 is pennies, really.

One thing I will say, though, is that you can normally get your site upgraded from one package to another within a couple of hours. Just submit a ticket to support, they'll upgrade the package and invoice you for the difference over the rest of your contract.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***

#9 helvissa

helvissa

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:07 PM

Cool!

Well.... It took one person 24 hops to get to the site (whcih still didn't load) and 26 for another (which... still didn't load), and what do Cirtex say? "Wow, 24 hops to the datacenter, that would cause frequent non-connections, but that's her ISP problem, not me."

A friend of mine did a test on dnsstuff.com whcih has come up with a "single point of failure". I'm really quite annoyed with Cirtex now, as they should've spotted this, surely, instead of blaming everyone's ISPs!

Anyway... I'm now in the process of moving my sites over here. Fingers crossed!

#10 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:41 PM

I normally get about nine hops to my ASO server from the UK, but with it being Wanadoo/Orange then I still get intermittent timeouts that I almost always track down to some hop just the other side of the Atlantic.

#11 Ghoul

Ghoul

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I get 18 hops from western Michigan to The Planet in Dallas (location of the older servers) and 17 hops to AtlantaNAP (new servers). Granted, the first 5-8 hops are all within Michigan on Comcast's network. My ping time to AtlantaNAP is between 50 and 70 ms, averaging around 60. My latency to The Planet is between 45 and 65, averaging about 55.

Just thought I'd provide you with a bit more data to work with. smile.gif

#12 billzo

billzo

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(Ghoul @ Jun 28 2007, 2:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get 18 hops from western Michigan to The Planet in Dallas (location of the older servers) and 17 hops to AtlantaNAP (new servers). Granted, the first 5-8 hops are all within Michigan on Comcast's network. My ping time to AtlantaNAP is between 50 and 70 ms, averaging around 60. My latency to The Planet is between 45 and 65, averaging about 55.

Just thought I'd provide you with a bit more data to work with. smile.gif

It takes me 12 hops to get to my ASO website.

Interestingly, my pings are longer than yours even though I've got less hops. 89 - 97 miliseconds.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 03:16 AM

That's nothing, I get 110ms+ from the UK tongue.gif Although they're actually being fairly consistent at 110-112 this morning smile.gif

#14 war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:39 PM

Ping statistics for 207.210.84.66 (Clair):
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 35ms
Awesome!

Though I always see this weird behavior on my PC:
Tracing route to war59312.com [207.210.84.66]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 31 ms 32 ms 31 ms war59312.com [207.210.84.66]

Trace complete.
Does not matter who I try and trace, I always get the same result.

Edited by war59312, 19 July 2007 - 02:40 PM.

God Bless America

#15 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

That's really strange. I've never seen a traceroute timeout on all of the hops and timeout on getting the names but successfully show the final hop. I get issues pinging anywhere from work, but that's because we've got a strict firewall and we never see any ping results from the outside world.

Can you try it without resolving IPs? I can't remember the option at the moment and I'm in Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users