Lifetime Small - 400MB Space and 10GB Monthly Bandwidth -
Lifetime Medium - 1GB Space and 25GB Monthly Bandwidth -
These plans are the same as our normal shared hosting plans and include all the usual options and support. The only difference is the billing (or lack thereof). So, you're buying a little over 3 years of service at once that you can use for all of eternity. There are just a few conditions on these plans that you should know before diving in:
- There will be no upgrades or downgrades on these plans.
- Bandwidth additions can be given for one calendar month (resetting on the 1st) for the usual $0.50 per GB.
- Addons such as reselling and dedicated IPs are not offered.
- The 30 day return policy applies to these accounts, so cancel within the 1st month and you'll get a full refund. After that, no refunding.
- We can "upgrade" your account to lifetime billing. Just place an order with the same domain you have with us now under your existing billing account. We'll stop billing on the recurring account and use the lifetime account from now out. Previous payments don't go towards your lifetime purchase.
- Ownership transfers are allowed. If you stop needing it and want to recoup some cost, feel free to sell or give away the account.
There are two reasons for this. As some of you know, we've started purchasing servers directly and housing them in GNAX here in Atlanta. There are a number of advantages to us, but it also puts a lot of up-front financial burden on us. We have to take on the cost of the hardware up-front and slowly pay that back over time. There is actually a balance that can be had whereby the income generated from existing customers can be used to pay for new systems to handle new customers. Essentially, there is a set rate at which we can take on new customers, governed by the size of our existing customer base. However, the rate at which we've been taking on new customers has grown faster than the rate at which we can support new ones. We're just too popular for our own good. So, we need to defray the costs of purchasing servers up-front by getting most of our income upfront. Rather than be evil and start charging setup fees (which are silly, if you think about it), we figure lifetime accounts are a win-win situation for everyone.
The second reason is to allow us to build up a large funding supply for some future purchases down the road. The eventual goal is to migrate all shared accounts from ThePlanet to GNAX to remove some overhead in having to maintain information about two datacenters. While we'll save a fair amount of money by not having to continually pay for hardware each month, it again requires us to bear a large financial burden up-front in buying hardware to house all your accounts here in Atlanta. So, these lifetime accounts let us build up the necessary funds to buy 25 servers and give you guys all some new hardware to live on. As a side benefit, you'll all be put on (slightly) faster hardware and fresh installs of Linux and cPanel. Of course, that's still at least a few months away and we'll be giving *plenty* of warning and updates on the situation as it draws near.
I hope you enjoy these plans. We'll be offering them as long as we can, but we will need to cut-off at some point. So, act quick and get one today! Also, don't forget: they make a great Christmas or Birthday present