#1 The Grasshopper

The Grasshopper

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:01 PM

Error code: 0x80072af9
this is the error code i get when i try to send email. What is it?
Thanks in advance,
The Grasshoppper

#2 Max

Max

#include "title.h"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(The Grasshopper @ Jan 12 2005, 6:01 PM)

View Post

It's an error code... was that a trick question?

While we are on the topic of asking questions, I've got some reading material for you.

#3 The Grasshopper

The Grasshopper

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Max @ Jan 12 2005, 7:49 PM)
QUOTE(The Grasshopper @ Jan 12 2005, 6:01 PM)

View Post

It's an error code... was that a trick question?

While we are on the topic of asking questions, I've got some reading material for you.

View Post

thank god you don't run/own a company. i could see your reply's to your customers; Please Google before you ask us anything.
Thank you Idiots,
Da Management

#4 Max

Max

#include "title.h"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:28 PM

lol... don't know what's funnier - people who ask for help without providing any information as to what the problem is and don't put in any effort to try and solve the problem themselves in the first place... or that they actually get pissed when someone tells them how not to make the same mistake a second time.

Oh and btw, I work as network admin at a local hosting company, and I deal with our clients every day both through e-mail and over the phone. The only thing is that there I get paid to tell people that we don't control their ISP's SMTP server, and I have to do so in a polite manner. But as long as you are asking for some free help from people who do this only because they enjoy an occasional problem or two, you may want to re-consider how you approach it.

#5 Lee-old

Lee-old

Red-ish Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:42 PM

... Back on topic-

I googled the error (I'm not familiar with it) and no real useful resources came up.
What's giving you this error message? What email client, that is.
Have you tried webmail?
What username are you using?
Have you double checked all your settings?

#6 -ASO- Tim

-ASO- Tim

Former Head Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

I can't seem to find anything on that error code either. Does it have any associated text you can copy over, or is there more?
Former Owner/Manager
timdorr.com

#7 completesite

completesite

web developing political musician freak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:43 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it's an Outlook-ISP problem. I believe I had that problem before but I forgot what it was exactly and how I fixed it. You might want to try to change the SMTP (outgoing server) settings you have on that account to the SMPT server of your ISP. However, It could be an entirely different problem. Hope you get it fixed.

Max: let's try to keep things friendly in this forum, please. rolleyes.gif
user posted image

CompleteSite! Services - custom website desgin, CMS solutions, SEO services and more

#8 Brak

Brak

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

This code is usually generated by Outlook when you ISP has blocked port 25.

You must use your ISP's SMTP server, or it won't let you get the mail out.

On a related note, if you had copied the actual error instead of the error number you would have gotten much, much further in a quicker time smile.gif

#9 trance

trance

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(Brak @ Jan 14 2005, 4:08 AM)
This code is usually generated by Outlook when you ISP has blocked port 25.

You must use your ISP's SMTP server, or it won't let you get the mail out.

On a related note, if you had copied the actual error instead of the error number you would have gotten much, much further in a quicker time smile.gif

View Post

If your ISP is blocking port 25 you can use SSL.
Now known as Solidgear.

#10 war59312

war59312

Will's Blog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:45 PM

80072af9 simply means host disconnected.

So yea try a different port and or smtp server.

Or better yet enable loging in your e-mail client and post the logs here.

And yes what e-mail client are you using and who is your isp.

And yea u should read the how to ask questions. At least you did not get a simple response of stfw. ohmy.gif

God Bless America

#11 The Grasshopper

The Grasshopper

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(war59312 @ Jan 14 2005, 6:45 PM)
80072af9 simply means host disconnected.
So yea try a different port and or smtp server.
And yes what e-mail client are you using and who is your isp.
And yea u should read the how to ask questions. At least you did not get a simple response of stfw.  ohmy.gif

View Post

1. You were right. it was disconnected.
2.MSN...most likely the outlook problem...nothing to do with the server as I just checked it the next day and it worked.
3. Has anyone here ever thought that some people don't have enough time to read the how to's to every damn thing they get. Sorry if your offended by that..
and i did write
Thanks in advance,
The Grasshoppper

I do think that does have a polite connotation to it!

#12 evn

evn

Very Large Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(The Grasshopper @ Jan 25 2005, 9:32 PM)
3. Has anyone here ever thought that some people don't have enough time to read the how to's to every damn thing they get. Sorry if your offended by that..

Yes, and it makes me furious. The reason the how-tos and FAQs get written are because these questions come up time and time again and the forum/group regulars get tired of answering the same questions twice a week. When a person says they cannot or will not read the how-to or FAQ because they're too busy then that person sounds arrogant. Their time is not more valuable than the FAQ's contributor's and believe it or not many of the FAQ maintainers are very busy people: they don't have time to hold everybodies hands through "boring" activities

It's important to keep in mind that when you have a question you are asking bright people to give up time they could be spending with their friends, on work, or sleeping to share the knowledge and experience they've spent years—even decades—gathering. Humility and self-motivation go a long way towards convincing the people who know the things that we do not to help us.

Thanks in advance,
The Grasshoppper

It might sound nice, but I think we all would have preferred you used those 36 characters to say something like:
I'm using outlook and my ISP is MSN

Then maybe some of the ASO forum gurus would have been able to answer your question rather than trying to guess what sort of hardware/OS/mail client/ISP combination you were using or posting smart-ass links to "how to ask questions" FAQs (which I whole-heartedly agreed with by the way).
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users