- - - - -

Which plan is right for me?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar

Oscar
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

I am considering a switch from my current host, Site5. I have a very low traffic site with two domains (a few hits a day) running WordPress with very few posts. I have been with Site5 since 2006, but feel I need to make a few changes.

I would like a recommendation on a hosting plan.
- I did not see domain registration listed in the Standard Features section, does ASO handle domain transfers and if not, is the a registrar that is cheap and easy to use? I want to renew/transfer 2 domains.

Additional questions:
- When traveling, I like to use an ssh tunnel for web access, is occasional SSH tunneling allowed?
- Does ASO support IPv6?
- Can I supply my own ssl certificate and are there any additional fees beyond the $2 per month dedicated IP?

Thanks,
Oscar

#2 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

If you have a smaller site with limited traffic you might do well with a Tiny plan. If you find you need more space or transfer, an upgrade is seamless and as simple as an e-mail to Billing.

ASO does provide domain registration services, mostly as a courtesy to customers as it's not part of their main business. Most of us (including I think ASO staff) would recommend keeping your registrar and your web host separate for safety, regardless of the quality of teh companies involved. I can recommend Baremetal.com, and many here like Namecheap. Most would, I think, discourage the use of GoDaddy though there are those who like them.

Unfortunately, ASO has recently discontinued the ability to use SSH tunnel citing "security" concerns. I believe IPv6 is available in teh datacentre but it's use depends upon cPanel implementation I believe. Someone more knowledgeable ont hat will have to provide more info or drop a note to support.

Yes, you supply the SSL certificate and the only other cost is $2/month for the dedicated IP.

Hope that helps.
Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#3 volunteer

volunteer

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Go with the smallest plan you can get.

Websites are like building blocks. They will start off with low traffic. but many websites will grow fast. If you start off with a small plan, your website will grow.

NyteOwl has answered your additional questions. I hope your website will grow BIG.
Always Believe.

#4 BPM

BPM
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

A base plan with 4.5gigs of bandwidth is = to only 1000 visitors a month sounds like a lot? If so its not at all I have a site I am bilding it gets 2K and it's not done. Think that GA Kiss Metrtics, and god knows will be on it. So get the better plan.

#5 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Depending on the site and the visitors 4.5 GB could be 1 visitor or 10,000 visitors. No relation at all (other than more visiitors means more bandwidth used). Upgrading only takes a phone call and can be done in minutes (unless it's over the weekend or a holiday).

Nice thinly veiled plug for the metris site. :)
Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#6 Jake L

Jake L

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

If you have a smaller site with limited traffic you might do well with a Tiny plan. If you find you need more space or transfer, an upgrade is seamless and as simple as an e-mail to Billing.

ASO does provide domain registration services, mostly as a courtesy to customers as it's not part of their main business. Most of us (including I think ASO staff) would recommend keeping your registrar and your web host separate for safety, regardless of the quality of teh companies involved. I can recommend Baremetal.com, and many here like Namecheap. Most would, I think, discourage the use of GoDaddy though there are those who like them.

Unfortunately, ASO has recently discontinued the ability to use SSH tunnel citing "security" concerns. I believe IPv6 is available in teh datacentre but it's use depends upon cPanel implementation I believe. Someone more knowledgeable ont hat will have to provide more info or drop a note to support.

Yes, you supply the SSL certificate and the only other cost is $2/month for the dedicated IP.

Hope that helps.

Good advice thanks I was actually about to buy a domain with hosting. I will go to a register instead.

Edited by IBBoard, 08 May 2013 - 12:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users