2 replies to this topic

#1 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

The following post is going to be left here for the sake of it. After hours of prodding and poking I got to the "..." part of writing my post below before it suddenly dawned on me what the problem was. Discussing your problem is a great resolver of issues :)

Basically, if you're trying to send large files as attachments and Mutt is segfaulting because Postfix bailed then 1) ReiserFS sucks and errors badly, so Postfix/Mutt don't get a clean "exceeded limit" error and b) 7.25MB files become 10MB files when base64 encoded to be sent via email, which hits the limit when you think you should be well below it!

I'm having some problems with Postfix's mail limits - nothing serious, and I can "fix" it by bumping the file limits if I have to, but I'd rather try and work out the problem and fix it properly.

Basically, I'm trying to send large emails via Mutt from a script, which uses sendmail provided by Postfix. The postfix config has a message_size_limit of 10MB. Based on some experimentation then I can send emails that are 7296KB but not 7297KB or larger. When I do, sendmail rejects the email and Mutt segfaults. /var/log/mail reports:

Apr  6 09:38:25 vps postfix/postdrop[9517]: warning: uid=501: Illegal seek
Apr  6 04:38:25 vps postfix/sendmail[9516]: fatal: <username>(501): queue file write error

According to this bug the error should be more descriptive, but ReiserFS reports a bad error code. Even so, I don't see why I can't get above ~7.5MB when my message size limit is 10MB....
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#2 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

I never cared much for ReiserFS though there are some nice features and good concepts that have gone into it. Glad you found the issue.

Those of us that were very active during BBS days well remember the sudden "file bloat" from base64 and uuencoding files for sending by mail :)
Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#3 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Some of us are too young for the really popular points of BBS and Usenet, even if we did create our first website about 12 years ago ;)

Anyway, the problem seems so obvious after I'd suddenly twigged what it was, and it would have been sooooo much easier if ReiserFS had been telling me the file size it thought it was getting!
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users