Photo
- - - - -

Does creating an SSH tunnel still work with ASO shared hosting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jokah

jokah

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

This worked a while back, but I switched to another shell account for creating an SSH tunnel after it stopped working consistently with my ASO account. I tried it just now, and I cannot seem to get Firefox to connect through a tunnel to joppa. Tunneling through Amazon EC2 works fine though.

#2 Blainelee

Blainelee

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Sorry,didn't met that question before.

#3 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

I haven't done that in a while but it sued to work fine. Useful capability for helping solve and diagnsoe some problems with sites and routes.

I just tried it now and it does indeed seem to be unavailable (as does lynx browser). This would appear to have occured since the move to SoftLayer, one of several such annoyances.
Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#4 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

After checking with tech support, their reply is as follows:

Due to new security changes, SSH tunnels are no longer allowed. SSH tunnels gave users access to internal system due to how they function, and also allowed users/malicious users to run mailer scripts and such disguised as legitimate applications.

Lynx falls into the same category as an SSH tunnel as it can be used to establish connections to services for an indefinite period of time.

Two more useful features down the drain.
Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#5 jokah

jokah

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Thanks, that's good to know. I can run Lynx on the Amazon shell account but was hoping to tunnel here as a backup option. Ah, well.

Due to new security changes, SSH tunnels are no longer allowed. SSH tunnels gave users access to internal system due to how they function, and also allowed users/malicious users to run mailer scripts and such disguised as legitimate applications. Lynx falls into the same category as an SSH tunnel as it can be used to establish connections to services for an indefinite period of time.

#6 ann

ann

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

Due to new security changes, SSH tunnels are no longer allowed. SSH tunnels gave users access to internal system due to how they function, and also allowed users/malicious users to run mailer scripts and such disguised as legitimate applications.

Lynx falls into the same category as an SSH tunnel as it can be used to establish connections to services for an indefinite period of time.

Billy wants to buy a Premium WordPress Themes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users