Photo
- - - - -

Bluehost got hacked and responded pretty bad to it (by lying to their customers)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anish

anish

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

Bluehost got hacked and responded pretty bad to it (by lying to their customers)

http://blog.sucuri.n...ercentages.html
http://blog.sucuri.n...inameat-cc.html

I also hope that our ASO servers are protected against this domainameat.cc script

Thanx
Anish

#2 [ASO] Frank

[ASO] Frank
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Unfortunately there is little that a host can do to avoid such things, it is the responsibility of the individual account owner to maintain the scripts installed on their website. This includes keeping them up to date, and patched for the newest vulnerabilities.

If any of our customers do fall victim to this attack, we will do whatever we can to help in the timely restoration of your site.

The script provided by Securi should work, and is not anything malicious. You can safely run it on your account via shell if you wish. If you need help with this, please feel free to contact support.

#3 anish

anish

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

I know a HOst cant do much.... but at the same time they shouldnt LIE ...

FYI... I work for one of the top 10 REGISTRAR and by default like every registrar we are BIG web hosting company also.... So can understand bluehost but the last thing to do in such situation is to lie... as a customer i know that stuff can go wrong... so just admit it...

:)

Anish

#4 NyteOwl

NyteOwl

36 Bits forever!

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

Don't know the details but the article's author needs to learn the difference between number of domains hosted and number of sites hosted. I would guess (and it's just that an educated guess), that on average most hosting companies have one real site for every 3-5 domains they host.

Of course whn it comes to malicious script vulnerabilities, WordPress seems to be the Windows of the web publishing world.

Edited by NyteOwl, 30 June 2010 - 03:05 PM.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Sign up at ASO and enjoy friendly, quality hosting services. Use coupon code no2512 and save 15% or coupon code 2152on and take $5 off. Valid on both Shared Hosting and VPS plans.

#5 jednorozec

jednorozec

Eclectical Engineer

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Are you saying that WordPress is like Windows because they are so popular or because they don't have a clue about security? :blink:
Join ASO and use a coupon to Save $5 or Save 15%

#6 [ASO] Frank

[ASO] Frank
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Are you saying that WordPress is like Windows because they are so popular or because they don't have a clue about security? :blink:

Wordpress has been fairly secure as long as its kept up to date, but the same can be said for almost any piece of software. The only reason new updates are released are for features and/or bug fixes.

Thats not to say that 0-day exploits aren't in the wild for wordpress.

#7 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

Frank"]Wordpress has been fairly secure as long as its kept up to date, but the same can be said for almost any piece of software.

But you're only reasonably secure if the software company releases a patch fairly promptly ;)

Probably because people blithely install it because "I can haz be blogzzz!!1!!111" but don't really have a clue about what they're doing and so leave it horrendously vulnerable because "it works for me" and "well it ain't my problem if you catch something".

Just wait until WordPress introduces the horrors of a disgustingly shiny interface, flashy features that provide no benefit but take up space, a confusing number of different versions, some of which arbitrarily limit you, and the horrors of some UAC system ;)
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#8 jednorozec

jednorozec

Eclectical Engineer

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:27 AM

Just wait until WordPress introduces the horrors of a disgustingly shiny interface, flashy features that provide no benefit but take up space, a confusing number of different versions, some of which arbitrarily limit you, and the horrors of some UAC system ;)

Sounds to me like you're talking about Microsoft Office. :unsure:
Join ASO and use a coupon to Save $5 or Save 15%

#9 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

That or Windows ;)
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#10 lesture

lesture

UNIX G33K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:19 PM

Wordpress and PMA are the biggest pains because everyone uses them and almost no one updates them!
"These people are crazy Earl. One guy told me he didn't believe in plastic. I've seen plastic, it exists." - Randy Hickey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users