#1 IDM

IDM

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

Hey all,

I want to set up a template folder of a WordPress installation and remotely duplicate it via FTP. Is this possible?

I'm using FileZilla client.

#2 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

AFAIK FTP doesn't support duplicating of files/folders. My client pretends to, but if you duplicate something it just downloads it and uploads it again under a new name (though this may be fine for you, depending on your needs).
fuzzylime: we know design
Save money when you sign up! Go here then use code giveme15 to get 15% off or giveme5 to get $5 off your order.

#3 IDM

IDM

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

AFAIK FTP doesn't support duplicating of files/folders. My client pretends to, but if you duplicate something it just downloads it and uploads it again under a new name (though this may be fine for you, depending on your needs).

Thanks for the reply. If anyone has any ideas on how to quickly duplicate a folder or set up new WP installations without using Fantastico that'd be cool. For now I'll probably just keep a few pre-uploaded WP install folders in there that can simply be renamed and edit one line of the config to finish the job.

What FTP client are you using btw Fuzzy?

#4 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

My personal approach (which I use for script installs) is to have a .zip containing a pre-set install, with templates etc, and use a PHP unzip script on the server - upload zip plus script, run script, and you've got a new copy, with total of two files needing uploaded.

I'm on a Mac, so use the fantastic Cyberduck. On PC I use WinSCP, which is the closest to "just looking like Explorer" I've been able to find!
Save money when you sign up! Go here then use code giveme15 to get 15% off or giveme5 to get $5 off your order.

#5 IDM

IDM

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'm a bit confused about the PHP unzip script. Is that a generic command or is it a custom script? Free or commercial?

I'd be happy to just push a button each time I need a new install of WP with the theme ready to go. Of course it can't create the database either, and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for a non-techie guy.

WinSCP is great but I've only used it for messing with my iPod Touch. :) I'm still a PC guy, for now...

#6 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

I have a script I wrote based on the PCLZip library. I'll try to dig it out tomorrow and post it here...

#7 IDM

IDM

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Really appreciate it, thanks David.

#8 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:29 AM

Here goes! First off, grab PCLZip from here - my script uses v2.5 but I guess more recent ones will work fine too. Extract the .zip and get the pclzip.lib.php file.

Next, save this as install.php:

<?php
	require_once('pclzip.lib.php');
	$archive = new PclZip("myfile.zip");
	$list = $archive->extract();

if($list == 0) echo("Unrecoverable error '".$archive->errorName(true)."'");
	else {
		echo "The script has been unzipped successfully.";
	}
}

?>

Change the reference to myfile.zip to whatever you've called your archive.

Finally, upload the archive, install.php and pclzip.lib.php to your server - make sure the directory you put them in has 0777 permissions, as otherwise things probably won't extract (you can change these afterwards). Then just browse to yoursite.com/newplace/install.php and everything should extract automatically!

#9 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Or, if you're not tied to FTP, ask ASO for an SSH account, log-in (using something like PuTTY if you're on Windows) and just run "cp -r /path/to/old/folder /path/to/copy/folder/to" :)
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#10 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:13 AM

I really should figure out more of the SSH commands - that'd certainly be a very handy way to do things :)

#11 IDM

IDM

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thank you both. I'm going to probably end up using SSH because it sounds simpler, but I'll play with this script meanwhile. Big thanks!

#12 Nepherim

Nepherim

ever unphotographed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

If you are not stuck on FileZilla, then WinSCP has the ability to duplicate a directory. WinSCP is free, and is rock solid stable.
~ ~ Dave
tech | photography | journal | MR2

Sign up with ASO: sg5 for $5-off, best on orders under $33; sg15 for a 15% discount, best on orders over $33.

#13 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

That'll probably only work with SFTP, which is not quite the same as FTP and is more like SSH. It is more secure (my VPS only has SFTP set up now - no FTP server at all) but it does mean that it'll have access to commands like "copy".

As for "learning ssh commands", they're Linux/Bash commands. SSH is just your tunnel in to the server :)

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***

#14 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

Aye, I don't use Linux aside from via SSH tho so I am pretty much completely clueless with them :)

#15 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:34 PM

The basics are quite simple, and shorter than Windows: cp copies, mv moves, rm removes, rm -r removes recursively, rm -rf is potentially dangerous as it removes recursively, cd changes directory, and everything has useful help/usage instructions in the form of "man cmd". Windows is decidedly lacking on that last one!

#16 davidatfuzzylime

davidatfuzzylime

Designer; coder; geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Cheers for the summary! I've used a lot of those now - starting to get the hang of it. Even started writing shell scripts this week ... I feel impressed with myself ...

#17 jednorozec

jednorozec

Eclectical Engineer

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Besides 'man cmd' you can also use 'info cmd' and 'cmd --help'. I usually try the last one first and if that doesn't give me enough information then I use info.
Join ASO and use a coupon to Save $5 or Save 15%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users