Photo
- - - - -

Joomla Contact Us help (sendmail, phpmail, etc)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Loucks

Justin Loucks

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

I'm in the process of setting up our school's website via Joomla. I have been creating all of the contacts, but when you click on a contact in the directory to send them an e-mail, the e-mail never gets sent. I've currently got test.nctbirds.net running as our test server until I get everything setup.

I've tried sendmail and php mail, and neither do anything. It says the e-mail has been sent, but it never arrives.

In cpanel, it says the sendmail path is /usr/sbin/sendmail , and that corresponds with what the setting is in the joomla global settings. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

#2 Rogue

Rogue

OMFG Panda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:44 AM

hmmm i dont see any reason why the PHP mail wouldnt work

have you tryed using the Send in HTML button? on the Mass Mail Tool?

#3 Justin Loucks

Justin Loucks

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Rogue @ Sep 7 2007, 5:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm i dont see any reason why the PHP mail wouldnt work

have you tryed using the Send in HTML button? on the Mass Mail Tool?

I don't follow. We must be talking about different subjects.

In joomla, you setup your mail in global configuration. I set it to phpmail.

Then, joomla has a place to make a directory or contact list. I made a staff directory.

Say a user in my directory has the e-mail "mike@bigurl.com".

You click on the name in the contact list, and it brings up a form to fill out. You fill out your name and e-mail address and message, and it sends your message to "mike@bigurl.com".

The problem is, it doesn't actually send anything.

My site is nctbirds.net (test.nctbirds.net)

Last night, I was finally able to get it to send to a user@nctbirds.net, but only when I set the "from" e-mail on the form to "user@nctbirds.net". I can't get it to send outside @nctbirds.net at all, and obviously it doesn't work when users enter their own e-mail address in the form, either.

Right now, it is pretty much useless.

#4 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:37 AM

If Joomla is badly coded and doesn't check the return value of the mail() call (which I'm assuming is what "PHP Mail" is) then it could be that it's passing a parameter it doesn't like and it isn't being sent at all. If the call is succeeding then it may be failing for some other reason, and if it is some other reason then the bounces should either be in the sending account's inbox or in the main account's inbox (the one with the same username as the cPanel login).

One thing to check is what this outputs:
CODE
<?php
echo mail("you@example.com", "Test email from PHP", "Some body text here") ? "true" : "false";
?>

If it prints false then it should dump an error to the output as well and you can post it here to see if anyone has any ideas. If it prints true and the mail delivers then you've got a config issue in Joomla. If it prints true and doesn't deliver then there's something odd in the mail delivery and you need to contact the techs.
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#5 Justin Loucks

Justin Loucks

Tiny Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(IBBoard @ Sep 7 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Joomla is badly coded and doesn't check the return value of the mail() call (which I'm assuming is what "PHP Mail" is) then it could be that it's passing a parameter it doesn't like and it isn't being sent at all. If the call is succeeding then it may be failing for some other reason, and if it is some other reason then the bounces should either be in the sending account's inbox or in the main account's inbox (the one with the same username as the cPanel login).One thing to check is what this outputs:
CODE
<?phpecho mail("you@example.com", "Test email from PHP", "Some body text here") ? "true" : "false";?>
If it prints false then it should dump an error to the output as well and you can post it here to see if anyone has any ideas. If it prints true and the mail delivers then you've got a config issue in Joomla. If it prints true and doesn't deliver then there's something odd in the mail delivery and you need to contact the techs.
I would find it strange if mambo/joomla were to have that kind of problem, especially seems how it is such a widely used content management system and nobody else seems to have the same problems.My current inclination is to just remove the form all together and just display the users e-mails. I don't want to do that, but it might be easier than messing with it.
QUOTE(Justin Loucks @ Sep 7 2007, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(IBBoard @ Sep 7 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Joomla is badly coded and doesn't check the return value of the mail() call (which I'm assuming is what "PHP Mail" is) then it could be that it's passing a parameter it doesn't like and it isn't being sent at all. If the call is succeeding then it may be failing for some other reason, and if it is some other reason then the bounces should either be in the sending account's inbox or in the main account's inbox (the one with the same username as the cPanel login).One thing to check is what this outputs:
CODE
<?phpecho mail("you@example.com", "Test email from PHP", "Some body text here") ? "true" : "false";?>
I would find it strange if mambo/joomla were to have that kind of problem, especially seems how it is such a widely used content management system and nobody else seems to have the same problems.My current inclination is to just remove the form all together and just display the users e-mails. I don't want to do that, but it might be easier than messing with it.
It may also be worth mentioning that sendmail and smtp setups both do the same thing. It says "mail sent", but it never arrives--unless of course the e-mail that you type in on the "from" part of the form is the same as the mailbox of the local e-mail server. ie... if I mail to jloucks@nctbirds.net and put the "from" address as "jloucks@nctbirds.net", it sends...

#6 Rogue

Rogue

OMFG Panda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

try this
create a new user
go to the admin panel
go to Components
go to Mass Mail
select the one which the new user has been attached to (registerd for exmaple)
send an email with subject Test and message test

see if that works

#7 symfiddle

symfiddle

Small Orange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Justin Loucks @ Sep 7 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may also be worth mentioning that sendmail and smtp setups both do the same thing. It says "mail sent", but it never arrives--unless of course the e-mail that you type in on the "from" part of the form is the same as the mailbox of the local e-mail server. ie... if I mail to jloucks@nctbirds.net and put the "from" address as "jloucks@nctbirds.net", it sends...

I'd check your logs to see if the mail has been sent, then check the email headers of the emails you have received. Sounds to me like your messages are getting dropped because of incomplete or malformed email headers. If it needs the local machine in the from header use the reply to header as an alternative for the mike@bigurl variable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users