Photo
- - - - -

Website Load Very Slow from certain ISP's?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sir

Sir

Rather Big Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 06:09 PM

Hi we have members on our forum and website who are finding my website extremely slow, very slow indeed.

I found out that those members are all from this one particular ISP provider. This particular ISP is a big ISP here in the UK, but not so popular in terms of rank. I also have other sites hosted on the same server, they are also finding them slow.

What can be done about this?

Thanks.

#2 anjanesh

anjanesh

Rather Big Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

When ISP is the issue, nothing much can be done on your or ASO's part. Maybe the recent floods has affected this ISP ?

#3 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:35 AM

If the ISP is slow then it's bad routing. I've had it before from Orange (formerly Wanadoo when I signed up) - somewhere mid-Atlantic they send me across a route that times out, so connections to ASO and some other closely located servers are slow or time out completely.

The only thing I can think of is that you do traceroutes from those machines to see where the biggest delay is and then report it back to the ISP. It probably won't do much good, since they're an ISP, but they may listen to you and see what can be done.
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

#4 Sir

Sir

Rather Big Orange

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:58 AM

This ISP is quite renowned for its bad service from what i hear. Its called Tiscali. Is there anything my users can do to report this to Tiscali? It will make my users think my website is slow, whereas its the ISP itself.

Users who are on Tiscali up and down the country are experiencing this problem,

#5 IBBoard

IBBoard

Massive Orange

• Volunteer Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:27 AM

I've never quite trusted Tiscali after they took over X-Stream (sp?) and crippled then stopped the free dialup service they offered back in around 2000. Having said that, I thought I'd seen them ranked top on something recently. Perhaps it was price.

TBH though, I'm not greatly impressed with Orange after they took over Wanadoo. Wanadoo were just Freeserve rebranded to the continental name, so quality was still the same. Orange seems to have gone downhill a bit, though.

As for what they can do, you'd need traceroute info (from the command line) to show where the problem is. Chances are since it's selective then it wouldn't be in Tiscali's network, just in the bearers they use to Atlanta. Once you find a customer service address and get past the "non-tech savy customer" drones then they might be able to talk to their bearer, but I think that's about it. They won't have any direct control, but they will have some influence if the bearer provider isn't providing good enough service.
The more information you provide, the better answer the community can give.

*** Sign up at ASO with a 15% discount (coupon: saveme15%) or $5 discount (coupon: saveme$5) ***
(Valid on shared hosting and VPS)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users